Since the introduction of the internet, using e-mail communication with customers for marketing purposes had been the most popular way of conveying messages to your existing customer base. However, direct, physical mail might be making a comeback. As preferences keep changing, so does the direction of communication between corporation and customer.
More than 2/3rds of all consumers believe that the amounts of e-mails they receive are too much, as you can imagine. Regularly do companies bombard their customer base with e-mails that end up within the junk folder. This has lead to a lower tolerance for email communication.
The numbers tend to prove the suspected trend of the increasing unpopularity of e-mail marketing. We have listed a few of these statistics based on research by Proactive Marketing for your convenience
Direct Mail vs Email: The statistics
– Less than half of the people who had participated in the study, could recall the brand name directly after seeing a digital ad. On the other hand, more than three quarters of the people who saw the physical ad, remembered the brand name.
– Nearly 1 in 20 people respond to direct mail, whilst only 1 in 1000 people responds to email marketing.
– Half of all companies have reported that they use direct mail, whilst 8 in 10 companies have stated that they use e-mail marketing in order to communicate with their customers. Then again, it is a lot cheaper to use email marketing rather than direct mail.
-Nearly 6 in 10 people have reported that they changed email addresses due to an overload in e-mails
– The average return on investment for emails is nearly $40 on every pound spent, and £7 on every pound spent for direct marketing. This is a skewed statistic due to the fact that it is inherently cheaper to send e-mails compared to sending direct mails.
– Direct mail generates nearly 10% more customers than e-mail.
However, email marketing is still useful. Many participants have reported that they would still would like to receive emails from corporations in some cases. Most likely if it is regarding a conformation email or other news.
It is clear that direct mail is obsolete, as thought by others. In fact, it’s e-mail marketing that is becoming increasingly unpopular. However, based on the answers of the participants: a mixed media campaign is often the best option to communicate with your client base.
At PSC Systems we can help you send direct mail to your clientele in a cost-effective manner. Our Hybrid Mailing Solutions are a must for everyone! Call us today for more information, or alternatively, contact us through the form below for more information.
Posted on Tuesday, June 26th, 2018 at 2:45 pm in Latest News.